Thursday, October 6, 2011

words of wisdom from steve jobs

my desk is covered in post-it notes with reminders of stores to call, gemstones to buy, and other business-related tasks. but there are two permanent post-its that contain quotes from steve jobs' 2005 stanford commencement address and they read: "you've got to find what you love" and "if you haven't found it yet, keep looking. don't settle". the words on these two bright yellow-green post-its serve as my daily reminder to chase my dreams.

two years go when I quit my corporate job to run my jewelry company, I had to take a large leap of faith but I did it because I wanted to have a job from which I could never imagine retiring. and when people ask me the question "if you could have any job in the world, what would it be?" my answer is: "exactly what I'm doing now". I have a long way to go before I get my small company to where I want it to be (I often dream of one of my necklaces gracing the cover of vogue magazine or walking by bergdorf goodman and seeing one of my pieces on a mannequin) but I know I have found what I love and I will never settle.

so this morning as I snapped photos of new designs on my iPhone and listened to music on the pandora app on my iPad, I took a moment to realize how lucky I am that I get to do what inspires me and how lucky I am to live in a world that has been revolutionized by steve jobs' creativity and innovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment