Wednesday, January 8, 2014

winter weather survival

I could not with the temperature yesterday in NYC. the HIGH real feel was -11.

so I decided to put together a post on my winter survival essentials. you can't beat the cold without being armed with proper skin care, accessories, and beverages. these are the things I do to survive those days when its so cold, your lip balm in your handbag freezes:


american apparel long leg warmers

1. leg warmers. I know what you're going to say: how could you wear these? you aren't going to a 90s party. well, haters to the left. I am a big fan of the lululemon cropped running leggings but by the time I get to the gym my ankles are bright red and numb. so, I throw on my leg warmers. I take them off as soon as I get to the gym although I suppose you could keep them on if you want to pretend you are in a jane fonda workout video...your call.





2. aquaphor. put this on and your skin will be completely protected from the elements. during winter there are patches of skin on my hands and face that always get extra dry. so I put aquaphor on before I go outside and cold weather be damned!

Katie Bartels gemstone jewelry Lisa necklace

3. a colorful necklace. the more grey it gets outside the more I want to wear color. my lisa necklace {made from jade and carnelian} is the perfect pop of color to beat the winter blues.

Katie Bartels gemstone jewelry Natalie necklace

4. an adjustable necklace. when it gets cold I add on lots of clothing layers. lots. this often makes it difficult to get a necklace that fits. enter my natalie necklace, with its ribbon that adjusts to all necklines. plus, a colorful ribbon will jazz up your layers of long underwear.


5. hot chocolate. I know its a bit cliche but it really does help make you feel better after walking around in the cold and/or snow. I love the classic swiss miss with whipped cream or marshmallows. when I'm feeling really fancy/chef-y I shave some dark chocolate over the whipped cream. this is as martha stewart as I ever get, fyi.


6. an extra coat. when its just really bitter out I wear my uniqlo ultra light down jacket underneath by long north face down coat. its very thin so it fits under your coat without adding too much bulk. I first learned the wonders of this jacket as an extra layer when I went on a northern lights tour in northern iceland in january. and you also can't beat the price and fact that it folds into nothing should the temperatures warm up.



so there you go, this is how I survive the temperatures.

stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment