Wednesday, July 3, 2013

july birthstone: ruby!


how fabulous is my birthstone?! 

when I was little I always wished my birthstone had been a pearl {#WASP} but now I have fully embraced vibrant red rubies as my stone. besides being a gorgeous shade of red, rubies are also incredibly durable stones (they are 9 on the Mohs scale of hardness--diamonds are a 10). 

rubies are considered the most powerful gem in the universe and are believed to be a symbol of passion, protection, and prosperity. so moral of the story, buy rubies! {side note: there are lots of rubies in my india-inspired fall 2013 collection, which launches the first week in sept}.


some famous rubies:

carmen lucia ruby. this burmese ruby is on display at the museum of natural history in dc. a whopping 23.1cts, its one of the finest and largest diamonds in the world.  burmese rubies over 20 carats are very rare so this gem is a true treasure

the liberty bell ruby. this 8,500 carat ruby (!!!) was carved into the shape of the liberty bell and accented with white diamonds. the massive gemstone was mined in south africa in the 1950s and is the largest mined ruby in the world. unfortunately the liberty bell ruby was stolen in 2011 and has yet to be found...



No comments:

Post a Comment